My Blog List

Monday, April 14, 2014

Adepticon 2014 Report

I had a fantastic time at Adepticon and played lots of games with my Alpha Legion against many great opponents. After ten tournament games I'm feeling a lot more confident about my 40K/30K skills ... just in time for the rumored rules update, doh!

This is what an awesome army looks like.

First up was the Horus Heresy Massacre tournament on Thursday. The tournament turned out to be a (suprise!) team tournament so I teamed up with Robin (aka Ripper) who also had his Alpha Legion with him. Overall, there were lots of great looking armies and friendly players, I will be back next year for sure! The hilarious twist of the tournament was that everyone betrayed their partner in the last game and switched teams. My crew had a very good showing in the end. My friend John tied best over all with his World Eaters, Ty got a much deserved Best Painted Award with his Mixed Isstvaan III Loyalists and I snagged the Player's Choice Award. See below for army photos, sorry if I missed anyone's!

Friday, I retooled my Alpha Legion as 40K Space Marines and played in to 40K Friendly Tournament, which had a Dirty Dozen theme. There were 72 players each divided up into teams of twelve and we got to use special Dirty Dozen characters in each game. There were lots of great door prizes and nutty random events in each game -- You know, vortex missiles and stuff. I even won an LED light set because one of the Judges tossed it on the table and said whoever holds it as an objective gets to keep it! All of my opponents were very good fellows and taught my unschooled arse a lot about the game. Best painted went to Matthew Cordless for his excellent Nurgle Marines and Traitor Guard -- It was a beautiful army and he deserved it! As it happened, my team (Team Orange!) ended up winning big and I took home a copy of Dreadball from Mantic, which I am giving to a friend to lure him into the hobby. Also, I just had a look at the statistics and it turns out that I tied for 2nd place -- not too shabby!

Most of my posse and I took Saturday off and went into Chicago to the Museum Science and Industry to check out U505; which was awesome. If you are ever in Chicago, check it out.

Sunday I did a combat patrol tournament, again with my Alphas. I enjoyed this format with lots of quick little 400-point games. I had a great time and to home the Player's Choice award.

My biggest suprise came when I found out that I won a Silver Crystal Brush for my Alpha Legion Jetbike. It was just a model from my army so I really wasn't expecting anything -- I'll take it though! It was especially cool to get unsolicited compliments from Jen Haley and Chris Borer, two of the best painters out there. Also check out Damon Drescher's beautiful Contemptor Dreadnaught that took the gold!

All and all it was an awesome time. Special thanks to Ty, Jake, John, Robin, Will, Dave and all my other homies for a great weekend. Thanks to Hank and all the Adepticon volunteers for putting on such a constantly awesome event. Shout out to John Shaffer and his teammates for bringing home best painted award for Team Handsome in the 40K Team Tournament. John is probably the best army painter on the earth, period. It's about time he got this one!

Team Handsome's Team Tournament Winning Army - photo borrowed from http://briancarlsonminiatures.blogspot.com/


Horus Heresy Massacre Tournament photos:


John's World Eaters - Tied for Best Overall
Ty's Doomed Loyalists of Isvaan III - Best Painted

Robin's Alpha Legion - My partner in crime!

My Alpha Goons.













3 comments:

  1. beautifully done army - I really enjoyed catching your army at the friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on winning one of our LED Kits (www.poweredplay.net)! We'd love to see what you put them in.

    ReplyDelete