My Blog List

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pre Heresy Alpha Legion Mor Deythan Strike Squad

I purchased Horus Heresy Book III at Adepticon last April and quickly discovered how much fun I could have with the Coils of the Hydra Rite of War and my Alpha Legion army. When I went on to read about the Raven Guard Mor Deythan Strike Squad, I knew what my first "coiled" unit would be. They have tons of options, are reasonably cost effective (even though they aren't cheap) and are totally themey with my Alpha goons. While the Alpha Legion is known to have infiltrated every other Legion, they were supposedly all up in the Raven Guard's grill in particular. Stealthy, infitrating dudes with BS5 also just scream Alpha Legion. I could even used them to represent the mysterious Stealth Squad spoken of in the Legion novel. The next morning, I went back down to the Forgeworld booth and handed another big pile of cash over to Paul Rudge and picked up ten Recon Marines to use as the starting point for these guys.

Pre Heresy Alpha Legion Mor Deythan Strike Squad
I gave the all mk. VI "beakie" helmets as a nod/middle finger to the Raven Guard and also puttied up some of the legs to be mk. VI style. I magnetized the weapons and have everything I need to do just about every weapon configuration possible. All those tiny magnets were a pain in the ass, but it will allow me to have some fun in games. Some combos I want to try out are:

Super Snipers: 3 Missile Launchers and 7 Sniper Rifles
Buttload of Plasma: 3 Plasma Guns and 7 Combi-Plasma Guns
Wait, Those Flamers are Rending this Turn!?: 3 Flamers, 3 Combi Flamers, 4 Shotguns

8 comments:

  1. Beautifully done, man - your Alpha Legion just keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think these look great! Did you get any photos pre-weathering? Would you share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful models, best alpha legion colour I've seen. Love the weathering aswell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Marc
    I just love your alpha legion army. I have a few question regarding how you paint the infantry, I hope you will answer.
    The undercoat, is it white, grey or black.
    The shadow do you brush it on like a wash in the recess, or do you use an airbrush (temple blue applied as a zenithal highlight on top of the shadow color mix).
    Kind regards Kåre (from Denmark)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recipe:
    http://marcraleyminiatures.blogspot.com/2015/12/alpha-legion-secret-recipe-11-herbs-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size magnets did you use for this? It's an amazingly clean job and I plan to copy the magnetising idea for my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing colour.
    Your shading and aging is fantastic

    ReplyDelete